This weekend I finally took the plunge and moved my website from the Typepad blogging service over to a static website using the Jekyll blog tool. To start the conversion, I wrote a Ruby commandline app to pull my old blog posts from a Typepad backup file into separate Jekyll post files.

To move my images hosted on Typepad, I used Martin Sauter’s Python script to extract the image URLs from the Typepad backup file and then used wget to pull down copies from Typepad to store locally. Next, I had to massage the URLs in a few of my posts to point to my local images copies, instead of pointing to Typepad and their hidden .a directories.

During my research, I found another really good article by Eric Fields that covers migrating a Typepad blog over to the SquareSpace blogging platform. Lots of good information

–Chris